News and events
- CS856: a seminar course on Blockchain Foundations and Applications: This seminar course examines foundations and current research into distributed ledger (blockchain) technologies and their applications. It will primarily consist of reading, reviewing, and presenting research papers. Classes will be held Tu/Th at 1pm in DC 2568 and auditors are welcome.
- Prof. John Conley from Vanderbilt University will give a presentation at the group meeting on November 28th, 2018. Details here.
- IEEE International Conference on Blockchain (Blockchain-2019). Following the great success of IEEE Blockchain 2018, held in July 30 – August 03, 2018, in Halifax, Canada, the 2019 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain (Blockchain-2019) will provide a high-profile, leading-edge forum for researchers, engineers, and practitioners to present latest advances and innovations in key theories, infrastructure, schemes, and significant applications for the blockchain, as well as to identify emerging research topics and define the future. Paper Submission Deadline: March 01, 2019.
- The launch of the Canadian group of the IEEE Blockchain Initiative (BCI) will be on Thursday, October 25.Earlier this year, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) created the IEEE Blockchain Initiatives (BCI) to be the hub for all blockchain projects and activities. On October 25, IEEE BCI will be in Waterloo Region to launch their first Canadian group with a networking event at Catalyst137. This event forms the first gathering of the new IEEE Blockchain Initiatives Group by local IEEE members. Your attendance will help support the development of the speakers bureau on blockchain applications and technologies in Waterloo Region.
- New Blockchain Protocol Could Improve Government and Corporate Procurement. A new blockchain tool developed by a researcher at the University of Waterloo and a collaborator at Airbus in Germany could make procurement of goods and services safer and more impartial. The tool, a blockchain auction protocol that allows for more safe and secure bidding on contracts with companies, so that the online auction is more difficult to hack or manipulate than conventional methods.
The 2019 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC 2019) will be held in Seoul, Korea during May 15-17, 2019. ICBC 2019 will be the first premier technical conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency that will be sponsored by IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc). ICBC 2019 will feature keynotes, tutorials, technical paper presentations, posters, demos, exhibitions from world-leading service providers, solution vendors, research institutes, open source projects, and academia. ICBC 2019 will be the primary forum for technical exchange of the latest research and innovation results, regulations, policies, standards, and applications in this exciting and challenging area. The paper submission deadline is 7 December, 2018.
- Computer science doctoral student Yuhao Dong, master’s student Woojung Kim, along with their supervisor Professor Raouf Boutaba, have received the best student paper award at Blockchain-2018, the 2018 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain.