Though my recent work is in energy systems, my past papers are generally in the area of tetherless computing, simulation, ATM networking, traffic management, congestion control and flow control. I have also dabbled in pricing, fuzzy systems, low-bitrate video encoding and telepresence.
- 1 Energy systems
- 2 Tetherless Computing
- 3 Network Performance Management
- 4 ATM and XUNET
- 5 CBR and RCBR
- 6 Flow and Congestion Control
- 7 Scheduling Disciplines
- 8 Pricing
- 9 Simulation
- 10 Fun Stuff - Talking Heads and Roving Cars
- 11 Miscellaneous
- S. Keshav and C. Rosenberg, On Load Elasticity, in IEEE Comsoc MMTC-E letter, #8, Vol. 7 Nov. 2012.
- S. Keshav and C. Rosenberg, How Internet Concepts and Technologies Can Help Green and Smarten the Electrical Grid, Proc. ACM SIGCOMM Green Networking Workshop, August 2010. Also in CCR Jan 2011.
- T. Carpenter, S. Keshav, and J.W. Wong, Sizing Finite Population Vehicle Pools, IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Volume PP issue 99, Jan 2014.
- T. Carpenter, A. R. Curtis, and S. Keshav, The Return On Investment For Taxi Companies Transitioning To Electric Vehicles, Transportation, June 2013.
- H. Zarkoob, S. Keshav, and C. Rosenberg, Optimal Contracts For Providing Load-Side Frequency Regulation Service Using Fleets of Electric Vehicles, To Appear, J. Power Sources.
- O. Ardakanian, C. Rosenberg, and S. Keshav, Distributed Control of Electric Vehicle Charging, Proc. ACM e-Energy 2013, May 2013.
- O. Ardakanian, C. Rosenberg, and S. Keshav, Real Time Distributed Congestion Control for Electrical Vehicle Charging (invited paper), Proc. ACM SIGMETRICS Greenmetrics Workshop, June 2012; also in Performance Evaluation Review, Volume 40 Issue 3, December 2012.
- T. Carpenter, A. R. Curtis, and S. Keshav, The Return On Investment for Taxi Companies Transitioning to Electric Vehicles, University of Waterloo Technical Report CS-2011-20, August 2011.
- K Kogan, S. Nikolenko, S. Keshav, and A. Lopez-Ortiz, Efficient Demand Assignment in Multi-Connected Microgrids, Extended Abstract, Proc. SustainIT, October 2013.
- S. Alamdari, T. Biedl, T. M. Chan, E. Grant, K.R. Jampani, S. Keshav, A. Lubiw and V. Pathak, Smart-grid Electricity Allocation via Strip Packing with Slicing, Proc. WADS 2013, August 2013.
- K. Kogan, S. Nikolenko, S. Keshav, and A. Lopez-Ortiz, Efficient Demand Assignment in Multi-Connected Microgrids, Proc. e-Energy 2013, May 2013. (Poster)
- S. Alamdari, T. Biedl, T. M. Chan, E. Grant, K.R. Jampani, S. Keshav, A. Lubiw and V. Pathak. Smart-grid Electricity Allocation via Strip Packing with Slicing, Proc. EuroCG, March 2013.
- O. Ardakanian, C. Rosenberg, and S. Keshav, On the Impact of Storage in Residential Power Distribution Systems, Proc. Greenmetrics Workshop, June 2012; also in Performance Evaluation Review, Volume 40 Issue 3, December 2012.
- O. Ardakanian, S. Keshav, and C. Rosenberg,On the Use of Teletraffic Theory in Power Distribution Systems, Proc. e-Energy, May 2012.
- A. Adepetu, E. Rezaei, D. Lizotte, and S. Keshav, Critiquing Time-Of-Use Pricing in Ontario, Proc. IEEE SmartGridComm Symposium 2013, Vancouver, October 2013.
- S. Keshav and C. Rosenberg, On Load Elasticity, in IEEE Comsoc MMTC-E letter, #8, Vol. 7 Nov. 2012.
- P. Srikantha, S. Keshav, C. Rosenberg, Distributed Control for Reducing Carbon Footprint in the Residential Sector, IEEE SmartGridComm, November 2012.
- S. Singla, S. Keshav, Demand Response through a Temperature Setpoint Market in Ontario, IEEE SmartGridComm, November 2012.
- S. Keshav and C. Rosenberg, Direct Adaptive Control of Electricity Demand, CS Technical Report CS-2010-17, September 2010.
- R.P. Singh, T. Brecht, and S. Keshav, IP address multiplexing for VEEs, ACM SIGCOMM CCR April 2014.
- X.Gao, A.R. Curtis, B. Wong, and S. Keshav, ItÃ¢â<82>¬â<84>¢s Not Easy Being Green, Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, to appear August 2012.
- A. R. Curtis, S. Keshav, and A. LÃ<83>Â³pez-Ortiz, Reducing Waste in Data Center Network Upgrades, University of Waterloo Technical Report CS-2010-08, April 2010.
- Yashar Ghiassi-Farrokhfal, S. Keshav, and Catherine Rosenberg, An EROI-Based Analysis of Renewable Energy Farms with Storage, Proc. ACM e-Energy 2014, June 2014.
- S. Singla, Y. Ghiassi-Farrokhfal, and S. Keshav, Battery Provisioning and Scheduling For a Hybrid Battery-Diesel Generator System, ACM Performance Evaluation Review (PER), December 2013.
- Y. Ghiassi-Farrokhfal, S. Keshav, and C. Rosenberg, Firming Solar Power, Extended Abstract/Poster, Proc. ACM SIGMETRICS, June 2013.
Smart Homes and Buildings
- O. Ardakanian, N. Koochakzadeh, R. P. Singh, L. Golab, S. Keshav, Computing Electricity Consumption Profiles from Household Smart Meter Data, 3rd Workshop on Energy Data Management, 2014
- P.X. Gao and S. Keshav, Optimal Personal Comfort Management Using SPOT+, Proc. BuildSys Workshop, 2013. Best Student Paper Award.
- S. Singla, Y. Ghiassi-Farrokhfal, and S. Keshav, Near-Optimal Scheduling for a Hybrid Battery-Diesel Generator for Off-Grid Locations, Proc. GreenMetrics Workshop, June 2013.
- P. X. Gao and S. Keshav, Personalized Smart Thermal Control System, Proc. ACM e-Energy 2013, May 2013.
- R.P. Singh, S. Keshav, and T. Brecht, A Cloud-Based Consumer-Centric Architecture for Energy Data Analytics, Proc. ACM e-Energy 2013, May 2013.
- P. Srikantha, C. Rosenberg, and S. Keshav, An Analysis of Peak Demand Reductions due to Elasticity of Domestic Appliances, Proc. e-Energy, May 2012.
- T. Carpenter, S. Singla, P. Azimzadeh, and S. Keshav, The Impact of Electricity Pricing Schemes on Storage Integration In Ontario, Proc. e-Energy, May 2012.
- O. Ardakanian, S. Keshav, and C. Rosenberg, Markovian Models for Home Electricity ConsumptionÃ¢â<82>¬â<80>¹, Proc. ACM SIGCOMM Green Networking Workshop 2011.
- O. Ardakanian, S. Keshav, Using Decision Making to Improve Energy Efficiency of Buildings, ICAPS-10 POMDP Practitioners Workshop, May 2010.
For papers by members of my research group, click here
Bus and Kiosk Networks
- S. Guo, M. Derakhshani, M.H. Falaki, U. Ismail, R. Luk, E.A. Oliver, S. Ur Rahman, A. Seth, M.A. Zaharia, S. Keshav, Design and implementation of the KioskNet system, Computer Networks, In Press, Available online 10 August 2010, ISSN 1389-1286, DOI: 10.1016/j.comnet.2010.08.001.
- S. Keshav, Design Principles for Robust Opportunistic Communication, Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Networked Systems for Developing Regions (NSDR 2010), June 2010.
- S. Guo and S. Keshav, Fair and Efficient Scheduling in Data Ferrying Networks, Proc. CoNEXT 2007, December 2007.
- S. Guo, M.H. Falaki, E.A. Oliver, S. Ur Rahman, A. Seth, M.A. Zaharia, and S. Keshav Very Low-Cost Internet Access Using KioskNet, ACM Computer Communication Review, October 2007.
- D. Hadaller, S. Keshav, T. Brecht, S. Agarwal, Vehicular Opportunistic Communication Under the Microscope, Proc. Mobisys 2007, Puerto Rico, June 2007.
- A. Seth, D. Kroeker, M. Zaharia, S. Guo, S. Keshav,Low-cost Communication for Rural Internet Kiosks Using Mechanical Backhaul,Proc. MOBICOM 2006, September 2006.
- S. Guo, M. Ghaderi, A. Seth, S.Keshav,Opportunistic Scheduling in Ferry-Based Networks,Proc. Workshop on Network Protocols for Transportation, 2006, August 2006.
- A. Seth, S. Bhattacharyya, and S. Keshav, Application Support for Opportunistic Communication on Multiple Wireless Networks, Manuscript, November 2005.
- A. Seth and S. Keshav, Practical Security for Disconnected Nodes, Proc. First Workshop on Secure Network Protocols (NPSEC), November 2005.
- A. Seth, P. Darragh, S. Liang, Y. Lin, and S. Keshav, An Architecture for Tetherless Communication, Manuscript, July 2005.
Wireless LAN and cognitive radio
- N. Ahmed, S. Keshav, and K. Papagiannaki, OmniVoice: A Mobile Voice Solution for Small-scale Enterprises, Proc. MobiHoc, May 2011.
- V. Shrivastava*, N. Ahmed*, S. Rayanchu*, S. Banerjee, S. Keshav, K. Papagiannaki, A. Mishra. \"CENTAUR: Realizing the Full Potential of Centralized WLANs using a Hybrid Data Path.\" (Best paper award winner) , ACM MobiCom, Beijing, September 2009.
- N. Ahmed, V. Shrivastava, A. Mishra, S. Banerjee, S. Keshav, K. Papagiannaki, Interference Mitigation in Enterprise WLANs through Speculative Scheduling (Extended Abstract), ACM Mobicom 2007, September 2007.
- N. Ahmed and S. Keshav, SMARTA: A Self-Managing Architecture for Thin Access Points, CoNEXT'06, December 2006.
- N. Ahmed, D. Hadaller, and S. Keshav, GUESS: Gossiping Updates for Efficient Spectrum Sensing, Proc. ACM MobiShare- 1st International Workshop on Decentralized Resource Sharing in Mobile Computing and Networking, September 2006.
- D. Hadaller, S. Keshav, and T. Brecht, MV-MAX: Improving Wireless Infrastructure Access for Multi-Vehicular Communication,Proc. SIGCOMM 2006 Workshop on Challenged Networks, September 2006.
- N. Ahmed and S. Keshav, A Successive Refinement Approach to Wireless Infrastructure Network Deployment, Proc. WCNC, April 2006.
- H.J. Pan and S. Keshav, Detection and Repair of Faulty Access Points, Proc. WCNC, April 2006.
Massively parallel computing
- A. R. Curtis, Tommy Carpenter, Mustafa Elsheikh, Alejandro LÃ<83>Â³pez-Ortiz and S. Keshav. REWIRE: An Optimization-based Framework for Unstructured Data Center Network Design, Proc. INFOCOM, March 2012.
- A. Curtis, S. Keshav and A. Lopez-Ortiz, LEGUP: Using Heterogeneity to Reduce the Cost of Data Center Network Upgrades, Proc. ACM CoNEXT, December 2010.
- M.A. Zaharia and S.Keshav,Gossip-based Search Selection in Hybrid Peer-to-Peer Networks, J. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2007.
- M.A. Zaharia, A. Chandel, S. Saroiu, and S. Keshav, Finding Content in File-Sharing Networks When You CanÃ¢â<82>¬â<84>¢t Even Spell, Proc. IPTPS,, February 2007.
- A. Allavena and S. Keshav, LOT: Fast, Efficient and Robust In-Network Computation, UW Technical Report 2006-22, July 2006.
- A. Allavena, Q. Wang, I. Ilyas, and S. Keshav, LOT: A Robust Overlay for Distributed Range Query Processing, UW Technical Report 2006-21, July 2006.
- M.A. Zaharia and S. Keshav,Gossip-Based Search Selection in Hybrid Peer-to-Peer Networks,Proc. IPTPS, February 2006.
- S. Keshav, Efficient and Decentralized Computation of Approximate Global State, ACM Computer Communication Review, Jan 2006.
- M. Zaharia and S. Keshav, Adaptive Peer-to-Peer Search, University of Waterloo Technical Report 2004-55, November 2004.
- M.A. Zaharia, and S. Keshav Fast and Optimal Scheduling Over Multiple Network Interfaces, University of Waterloo Technical Report CS-2007-36, October 2007.
- M. Karsten, S. Keshav, S. Prasad, and O. Beg An Axiomatic Basis for Commmunication, ACM SIGCOMM 2007, August 2007.
- M. Karsten, S. Keshav, and S. Prasad, An Axiomatic Basis for Communication, Proc. HotNets'06, November 2006.
- S. Keshav, Naming, Addressing, and Forwarding Reconsidered, Manuscript, August, 2005.
- M. Ghaderi and S. Keshav, Multimedia Messaging Service: System Description and Performance Analysis, Proc. WICON, July 2005.
- S. Keshav, Why Cell Phones Will Dominate the Future Internet, ACM Computer Communication Review, April 2005.
- E. Oliver and S. Keshav, An Empirical Approach to Smartphone Energy Level Prediction, The 13th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp 2011), September 2011.
- M. Thomas, A. Gupta, and S. Keshav, Group Based Routing in Disconnected Ad Hoc Networks, Proc. 13th Annual IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, December 2006.
- S. Liang and S. Keshav, Dynamic priority boosting for opportunistic mobile computing , Unpublished Manuscript, October 2004.
Network Performance Management
- J. Wang, Y. Zhang, and S. Keshav, Understanding End-to-End Performance: Testbed and Preliminary Results, Proc. of IEEE Global Internet Symposium, November 2001.
- L. Qiu, Y. Zhang and S. Keshav, Understanding the Performance of Many TCP Flows, Computer Networks, 37(3-4), pp. 277-306, November 2001
- R. Siamwalla, R. Sharma, and S. Keshav, Discovering Internet Topology, Unpublished manuscript, July 1999.
- S. Keshav and R. Sharma, Achieving Quality of Service through Network Performance Management, Proc. NOSSDAV '98, July 1998.
- S. Keshav and R. Sharma, Issues and Trends in Router Design, IEEE Communications Magazine, May 1998.
ATM and XUNET
- C.R. Kalmanek, S. Keshav, W.T. Marshall, S.P. Morgan, and R.C. Restrick, Xunet 2: Lessons from an Early Wide-Area ATM Testbed, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, April 1997.
- R. Ahuja, S. Keshav and H. Saran, Design ,Implementation, and Performance Measurement of a Native-Mode ATM Transport Layer (Extended Version), IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking August 1996.
- A. Jain and S. Keshav, Native-mode ATM in FreeBSD: Experience and Performance, Proc. NOSSDAV '96, April 1996.
- R. Ahuja, S. Keshav and H. Saran, Design, Implementation, and Performance of a Native-Mode ATM Transport Layer, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM '96, March 1996.
- S. Keshav , C. Lund, S. Phillips, N. Reingold and H. Saran, " An Empirical Evaluation of Virtual Circuit Holding Time Policies in IP-over- ATM Networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication, October 1995.
- S. Keshav and H. Saran, Semantics and Implementation of a Native-Mode ATM Protocol Stack, AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Memorandum, February 1994.
- R. Sharma and S. Keshav, Signaling and Operating System Support for Native-Mode ATM Applications, Proc. ACM SigComm'94, August 1994.
- H. Saran and S. Keshav, An Empirical Evaluation of Virtual Circuit Holding Times in IP-over-ATM Networks, Proc. Infocom '94, June 1994.
- A. Berenbaum, M.J. Dixon, A. Iyengar and S. Keshav, A Flexible ATM Host-Interface for Xunet 2, IEEE Network Magazine, V7, N4, July 1993.
CBR and RCBR
- M. Grossglauser, S. Keshav , D. Tse, RCBR: A Simple and Efficient Service for Multiple Time-Scale Traffic, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, December 1997.
- M. Grossglauser, S. Keshav , D. Tse, RCBR: A Simple and Efficient Service for Multiple Time-Scale Traffic, Proc. SigComm '95, August 1995.
- M. Grossglauser, S. Keshav , D. Tse, The Case Against VBR, Proc. NOSSDAV '95, April 1995.
- M. Grossglauser and S. Keshav, On CBR Service, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM '96, March 1996.
Flow and Congestion Control
- Y. Zhang, L. Qiu, and S. Keshav, Speeding Up Short Data Transfers: Theory, Architecture Support, and Simulation Results, Proc. NOSSDAV 2000, Chapel Hill, NC, June 2000.
- L. Qiu, Y. Zhang and S. Keshav, On Individual and Aggregate TCP Performance, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP '99), Toronto, Canada, November 1999.
- S. Keshav and S.P. Morgan, SMART: Retransmission: Performance with Random Losses and Overload, Proc. INFOCOM '97, April 1997.
- S. Keshav, Packet-Pair Flow Control -- Available only on the web (Warning: this paper is 55 pages long).
- S.P. Morgan and S. Keshav, Packet-Pair Rate Control - Buffer Requirements and Overload Performance, Technical Memorandum, AT&T Bell Laboratories, October 1994.
- H. Kanakia, S. Keshav and P. Mishra, A Benchmark Suite for Comparing Congestion Control Schemes, Technical Memorandum, AT&T Bell Laboratories, July 1992.
- S. Keshav, Flow Control in High-Speed Networks with Long Delays, Proceedings of INET '92, Kobe, Japan, June 1992.
- S. Keshav, Congestion Control in Computer Networks PhD Thesis, published as UC Berkeley TR-654, September 1991.
- Introduction and Abstract.
- Chapter 1: Introduction.
- Chapter 2: Fair Queueing.
- Chapter 3: Efficient Implementation of Fair Queueing.
- Chapter 4: The Packet Pair Flow Control Protocol.
- Chapter 5: A Control-Theoretic Approach to Flow Control.
- Chapter 6: Simulation Experiments.
- Chapter 7: Conclusions.
- S. Keshav, A Control-theoretic Approach to Flow Control, Proc. ACM SigComm 1991, September 1991.
- S. Keshav, A. Agrawala and S. Singh, Design and Analysis of a Flow Control Algorithm for a Network of Rate Allocating Servers, Protocols for High Speed Networks II>published by IFIP Press, April 1991.
- S. Singh, A. Agrawala and S. Keshav, Deterministic Analysis of Flow and Congestion Control Policies in Virtual Circuits, University of Maryland Tech Report TR 2490, June 1990.
- H. Saran, S. Keshav and C.R. Kalmanek, A Scheduling Discipline and Admission Control Policy for Xunet 2, Proc. NOSSDAV '93, November 1993; also Multimedia Systems Journal, 1994.
- A. Banerjea and S. Keshav, Queueing Delays in Rate-Controlled Networks, Proc. Infocom'93, March 1993.
- S. Keshav, Implementing Stop-and-Go using Hierarchical Round Robin Service, Technical Memorandum TM-911018-15, AT&T Bell Laboratories, October 1991.
- S. Keshav, On the Efficient Implementation of Fair Queueing, Journal of Internetworking: Research and Experience, V2, N3, September 1991.
- H. Zhang and S. Keshav, Comparision of Rate-Based Service Disciplines, Proc ACM SigComm 1991, September 1991.
- C.R. Kalmanek, H. Kanakia, S. Keshav, Rate-Controlled Servers for Very High-Speed Networks, Proc. GLOBECOM '90, San Diego, December 1990.
- A. Demers, S. Keshav and S. Shenker, Analysis and Simulation of a Fair Queueing Algorithm, Journal of Internetworking Research and Experience, V1, N1, pp 3-26, September 1990; also in Proc. ACM SigComm 1989, pp 1-12, September 1989.
- C. Parris, S. Keshav and D. Ferrari, A Framework for the Study of Pricing in Integrated Networks, ICSI Technical Report TR-92-016 and AT&T Bell Labs Technical Memorandum TM-920105-03, January 1992.
- S. Keshav, A Mechanism for Congestion Control in Computer Networks, Unpublished preprint, April 1989.
- J. Wang and S. Keshav Efficient and Accurate Ethernet Simulation, Proceedings of the 24th IEEE Annual Conference on Local Computer Networks 1999.
- X.W.Huang, R. Sharma, and S. Keshav, The ENTRAPID Protocol Development Environment, Proc. Infocom '99, March 1999.
- S. Keshav, REAL : A Network Simulator, UCB CS Tech Report 88/472, December 1988.
- S. Keshav and D.P. Anderson, A Workload Model for Large Distributed File Systems, Proc. 19th Annual Pittsburgh Conference on Simulation and Modeling, May 1988.
Fun Stuff - Talking Heads and Roving Cars
- A.E. Kaplan, S. Keshav, N.L. Schryer and J.H. Venutolo, An Internet Accessible Telepresence, Multimedia Systems Journal, March 1997.
- S. Keshav, Experience with Large Videoconferences in Xunet 2, Proc. INET'94 , June1994.
- A.E. Kaplan and S. Keshav, Talking Heads Made Simple, Presented at the 1993 International Worshop on Facial Animation, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 1993. Patent disclosure
- S. Keshav, Mathematical Foundations of Computer Networking Chapters 1-4, 6,7, October 2009.
- S. Keshav, Ã¢â<82>¬Å<93>The Riches of White Space,Ã¢â<82>¬Â<9d> Editorial in The Mark News, October 2009. pdf
- S. Keshav, The SIGCOMM Community, Editorial in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, October 2009.
- S. Keshav, Taking account, Editorial in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, July 2009.
- S. Keshav, >The cost of text messaging Testimony at the hearing on Cell Phone Text Messaging Rate Increases and the State of Competition in the Wireless Market held by the Senate Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, June 16, 2009
- S. Keshav, Bubbles, Editorial in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, April 2009.
- J. Crowcroft, S. Keshav, and N. McKeown, Scaling the Academic Publication Process to Internet Scale, Communications of the ACM, January 2009.
- J. Crowcroft, S. Keshav, and N. McKeown, Scaling Internet Research Publication Processes to Internet Scale, Proc. Workshop on Organizing Workshops, Conferences, and Symposia in Computer Systems, April 2008.
- S. Keshav, How to Read a Paper, ACM Computer Communication Review, July 2007.
- S. Keshav, Ensim ServerXchange: the Key to Hosting Automation:A White Paper, Ensim Technical Publications July 2001.
- D. Bergmark and S. Keshav, Building Blocks for Internet Telephony, IEEE Communications Magazine, April 2000.
- S. Keshav and S. Paul, Centralized Multicast, Proc. ICNP '99, October 1999.
- S. Keshav, Multimodal Applications and Multiplanar Networks, Unpublished manuscript, March 1999.
- R. Sharma, S. Keshav, M. Wu, and L. Wu, Environments for Active Networks, Proc. NOSSDAV '97, May 1997.
- S. Keshav, Report on Workshop on Quality of Service Issues in High Speed Networks, ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, October 1992.
- P.S. Khedkar and S. Keshav, Fuzzy Prediction of Timeseries, Proc. IEEE Conference on Fuzzy Systems, March 1992.
Some of these papers have been published by IEEE, as noted in the references. Thesepapers are copyrighted by IEEE in the years shown. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution toserver or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works, must be obtained from the IEEE. Contact: Manager, Copyrights and Permissions, IEEE Service Center, 445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331, Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331, USA.