A. If you organize a meeting
- Inform attendees as far in advance as possible.
- Let all attendees know the date of the meeting, the time of the meeting, the location, the agenda and what preparation each attendee must do in advance of the meeting
- Show up for the meeting a few minutes before the start time.
- Carry a notebook to the meeting and take notes.
- Later, email action items to attendees or post them online.
B. If you are attending a meeting
- Do you need to be there?
- Make sure you prepare for the meeting.
- Carry a notebook and take notes.
C. During a meeting
- At the start of the meeting, the organizer should tell the attendees what is to be communicated, and what is to be decided.
- Cut the BS.
- Make forward progress. If information is lacking, reschedule.
- Keep track of action items.
- At the end of the meeting, everyone should know what has been communicated, what has been decided, and the action items.